Tordon® RTU herbicide is a ready-to-use product that is effective in cut surface applications for killing unwanted trees and preventing undesirable sprouting of cut trees in forest and other non-crop areas such as fence rows, roadsides and rights-of-way.
Active Ingredient: picloram: 4-amino-3,5,6-trichloropicolinic acid, triisopropanolamine salt
For use on:
- Fence Rows
- Non-crop Areas
- Alder (Alnus spp.)
- Ash, Green (Fraxinus pennsylvanica)
- Aspen (Populus spp.)
- Birch (Betula spp.)
- Cedar (Cedrus spp.)
- Cherry (Prunus spp.)
- Dogwood (Cornus spp.)
- Elm (Ulmus spp.)
- Fir (Abies spp.)
- Gum (various)
- Hawthorn (Crataegus spp.)
- Hickory/Hickory Nut (Carya spp.)
- Hornbeam (Carpinus spp.)
- Magnolia, Sweet Bay/Small/Laurel (Magnolia virginiana)
- Maple (Acer spp.)
- Oak (Quercus spp.)
- Pecan (Carya illinoinensis)
- Persimmon (Diospyros spp.)
- Serviceberry (Amelanchier spp.)
- Sourwood (Oxydendrum arboreum)
- Tree-of-Heaven (Ailanthus altissima)
- Weeds, Annual
- Weeds, Perennial
Tree Injection Treatment: Use 1 milliliter of undiluted Tordon RTU solution through the bark completely around the tree trunk at intervals of 2 to 3 inches between edges of the injector wounds. Make injections near ground level when using the tree injector or 2 to 4 feet above the ground when using a Hypohatchet Injector or similar device. Treatments can be made in any season. Maples should not be treated during the spring sap flow. With some difficult to control species such as dogwood, hickory, sugar maple, bigleaf maple, tanoak, and some firs, application to a continuous cut rather than to spaced cuts may be more uniformly effective.
Frill or Girdle Treatment Make a single hack girdle or "frill" of overlapping ax cuts through the bark completely around the tree as close to the ground as feasible. Spray or paint the injured surface with undiluted Tordon RTU, using enough volume to wet treated areas.
Stump Treatment Spray or paint the cut surfaces of freshly cut stumps and stubs with undiluted Tordon RTU. The cambium area next to the bark is the most vital area to wet.
See Label for complete application instructions.
- Tordon RTU is highly active as a herbicide, is water-soluble, can move with surface runoff water, and can remain phytotoxic for a year or more if it gets into the soil.
- Tordon RTU should not be applied on residential or commercial lawns or near ornamental trees and shrubs. Untreated trees can occasionally be affected by root uptake of herbicide through movement into the topsoil or by excretion of the product from the roots of nearby treated trees. Do not apply Tordon RTU within the root zone of desirable trees unless such injury can be tolerated.
- Do not contaminate water intended for irrigation or domestic purposes. To avoid injury to crops or other desirable plants, do not treat or allow spray drift or run-off to fall onto banks or bottoms of irrigation ditches, either dry or containing water, or other channels that carry water that may be used for irrigation or domestic purposes. Do not apply to snow or frozen ground.
See Label for complete restrictions.
Product Label Download SDS